November 27, 2015 by Tina Olsson / Gavanna
Here’s my latest ( probably not the last, sigh) stupid mistake!
While trying to remove a big blotch left by a dirty dog paw, I got some stain remover on my Kilafors green linen dress, and guess what, it removed it’s green color in NO TIME at all.
Center front, at crotch height. Eeeeeeeeeeek! Never heard of aprons, stupid girl??
After sulking for a few days I decided to do something radical instead, so I painted/dyed it some more! Actually, it didn’t turn out bad at all! The dress looks even nicer like this!
I hand stitched a double thread in, from hem to the bottom of the V-neck, along the center front. I pulled on this thread, and gathered the fabric into a big wad of fabric.
I placed all this on a plastic background, and started painting with undiluted black silk paint, just touching the top os the pleats to start with.
Wearing an apron, can you imagine?
I left this to dry for an hour, I was thinking this would be the most intense layer of black.
Second time I painted a bit more sloppy, in broader strokes, and with a little bit of water in the dye. Once again I let it dry for a while.
Third round: I mixed dye with some water in a a jug, and put the pleated part of the dress down in it for half an hour.
I tied it all together first, to make it stay in place, more or less.
Finally I soaked the whole thing in water and dye for a while. By now I was out of patience, I guess I could have left if there for longer, but I picked it up, unpicked the thread and let it dry. This dye needs heat to fix, so after ironing I put it through the washer.
Well, the last bath didn’t really do anything, but the rest is awesome! Love my new dress!
Seen here with my painted coat!
No sign of that bleech!